Sunday 22 May 2011

McLaughlin Bay Reserve & 2nd Marsh -- May 22nd, 2011

Today I was planning on a day at home to do some yard work or house chores but as the day wore on I started to think I was missing something "out there" so I grabbed my camera and headed out. Didn't find anything special but time in nature is always time well spent to me.

At the GM parking lot there are a couple of Flowering Crabapple trees as you enter the trail.

I don't have a powerful enough lens for birds so they have to be pretty close to me as this Red-Winged Blackbird was.

























I didn't see much at the reserve so I went to 2nd Marsh. With all the rain we've been getting there are still vernal pools at the marsh with some nice reflections.



























Mayapples with their "apples". They should bloom soon.

Thanks to Gerry Ernest & John Foster for identifying this as a Yellow Ladyslipper (wild orchid). The yellow bloom will appear soon.

























Marsh Blue Violet




















There are quite a few Dryads Saddle in the marsh.

























I like them in the early stages-- surprising how much they change.






















Just some growth in one of the pools that caught my eye.


























Wood Snail

















I don't know what species these last three shots are but they're all pretty ones. I'll have to dig out my wildflower book. --- Gerry & John identified this as Foamflower.

























And this is a Wild Geranium. Thanks John & Gerry.

This is False Solomon's Seal-- thanks again guys.



















Even though I didn't capture anything of special note, it was another good day in the woods.

The Friends of Second Marsh web site... 


A direct link to a map of the paths/trails in the marsh...



A link to a page that has my past posts re the marsh, in one place rather than scattered throughout this blog...
 
- fini -

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...