Saturday 7 May 2011

Lynde Shores CA, Thickson's Woods & 2nd Marsh -- May 6th, 2011

I decided on a short visit to a few areas close to home today before the predicted rain arrived. All are in the local urban area so it's easy enough to visit them in a couple hours.

First I went to Lynde Shores to check the Trilliums. In other years I've seen a large carpet of them on one section of the forest floor. There was almost no sign of them yet this year. Lots of Trout Lilies but not many with flowers. Many Mayapples too.

My favourite images of the day turned out to be of some Mallards in the marsh. Not that Mallards are anything unusual but the water was extra still and with the overcast sky reflecting in the water, it made these images look unreal. It's almost like the ducks are on a grey mirror. They seemed to be in a sleepy state in keeping with the dreary day.









































Is there anyone that doesn't love these little guys? Lynde Shores is a very popular spot for parents with young kids. The Chickadees will eat from their hands and it has the friendliest Chipmunks in the area. They run around everywhere, including under your feet on the path if you're not watching them closely. You may even see the Wild Turkeys that are often on the paths looking for easy handouts.

























A little girl had some pieces of apple to feed them and was thrilled to see this guy eating some.


























Mayapples are plentiful...


















So are Trout Lilies tho very few are blooming.






















Sorry bud-- I don't have anything for you.

















Next stop was Thickson's Woods-- a birder's paradise, just a few minutes east. The Marsh Marigolds are going strong.
























I kind of like this arrangement of Fiddleheads-- looks like a marching band in formation.

















Bloodroot will look even more photogenic soon.

























Another short drive to the east and I'm at 2nd Marsh.

Fungus and Horsetail...

























The "dreaded" Dandelions are back. I like 'em. So do the ants.
























Burdock (Wild Rhubarb)-- in due time a walk thru the woods may get you some burs to take home without you even trying.

















Not too pleasing to the eye (tho it does make for a swampy feel) but my guess is this scum on the vernal pools is harmless. Algae?

















And the highlight of my day-- Wood Ducks. I'd seen them on the water & in flight before but I'd never witnessed what I saw today. A pair of them flew thru the tall trees at the marsh and landed on a tree branch about 50 ft off the ground.

Nothing unusual for Wood Ducks but it was the first time I'd ever seen it. What a thrill! It just doesn't "look right" to a prairie boy that's seen 1000s of ducks in my life but had never seen a pair land in a tree. Wow!

The images are lousy (too far, backlit) but that didn't lessen the thrill for me. You never know what you're going to see in nature. She's full of surprises.






















I almost beat the rain. But I saw the Wood Ducks-- who cares about the rain.










I'm guessing my nature posts will slow down soon as the early Spring wildflowers I look for are for the most part here already. On to other subjects. The weeks do fly by...

The Friends of Second Marsh web site... 


A direct link to a map of the paths/trails in the marsh...



A link to a page that has my past posts re the marsh, in one place rather than scattered throughout this blog...
 
- fini -




Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...