Saturday 14 May 2011

Oshawa Harbour & 2nd Marsh -- May 14th, 2011

It was time to have another look at 2nd Marsh in south Oshawa but as I got closer to the lake the fog was getting thicker so I went down to Oshawa Harbour to see if there were any moody shots to be had.The fog didn't stop the fishermen or the walkers.





































Then I went over to the marsh. Gold fungus....


















Not sure what these are but they add color to the forest floor.

















Toothwort


























Jack-in-the-Pulpit-- unique for sure.


























Unless my memory is even worse than I think it is, the boardwalk is in noticeably worse shape than when I there about a week ago. This section at the Beaver Pond looks like it's on the verge of collapse. All the rain we've been having is taking its toll.


















Wood Violets...

















I come across very few Trilliums at the marsh, just the odd one here and there. Maybe there's a patch somewhere that I don't know about, or they're too far off the paths.



















Wet weather brings snails out.


I always enjoy Mayapples, no matter how often I see them, they're here for such a short time. They're cool.

















The three "friendlies" came to see me today-- Chickadees, a Nuthatch and a Downy Woodpecker. It's the same ones every time I'm sure.

























I always like the look of something green nestled in a tree crevice.

























I think the much-maligned Dandelion looks great at this stage.


Willow tree catkins.

















Fog adds emotion to almost any scene.

















3 with Mom, 1 with Dad

















Handiwork of Woodpecker & Young Lovers...


















It seems not long ago I shot this scene in winter.


















Dryads Saddle-- one of the prettier fungi in this area.
 



















Moss blooming...
























Garlic Mustard-- an unwelcome invasive species, but it still looks good when it blooms in numbers.

















I didn't plan on going out today but I'm sure glad I did. Not just for what I saw but walking though the woods after a rain, with not a breath of wind and the freshness in the air that follows a rain. I love it.

The Friends of Second Marsh web site... 


A direct link to a map of the paths/trails in the marsh...



A link to a page that has my past posts re the marsh, in one place rather than scattered throughout this blog...
- fini -

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 26 May 2011 at 11:38 , Blogger Bharat said...

A wonderful tour Bob. What a change of the river from your winter shot.
Cheers, Bharat

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...