Sunday 14 October 2018

Algonquin Park
October 8th - 11th

We were in Algonquin for our almost annual visit... the 15th time or so for us. We visited our usual spots but we always try to find one or two places we haven't seen before.


The weather forecast was for lots of rain but we lucked out. It rained on the way up but only at night while we were there.

We stayed at Spring Lake Resort in Dwight... close to the park. It's a small lake... some would call it a large pond, but it's a beautiful spot. 

This girl wasn't doing yoga. I caught her taking a picture.

A cute combination of Thanksgiving themes I thought.


















Typical of the views along the main highway through the park. 










I can't resist mushrooms/fungi.


















We missed the peak of red maples but the oranges and golds were ablaze. 

















Lichens are indicative of pollution free, clean air. Lichens are common in Algonquin.
















I tend to favor golden fungi.






















A moss-covered stump. The moss is brilliant green.
 

Life from decay. The stump must be providing some of the nutrients the tree needs.
























We've seen a pair of Mergansers at the Tea Lake Dam several times. His haircut is flat since he kept diving for snacks. We enjoyed watching the pair as we had some egg sandwiches... and some ham & cheese too. They taste so much better sitting at a picnic table by a river. :)

















Appropriately, there are always visitors canoeing on Canoe Lake.  













When I first spotted this, I thought how ugly, time to remove it. Then I realized it's someone portaging a canoe. 















We always take the side road to Oxtongue Rapids, a favourite spot for photographers & artists. The road is less than 300 yards from the Inn.

A young girl took a couple shots, then sat down to enjoy the rapids.

















A view we've enjoyed every year we've visited Algonquin. It's gorgeous. It's at the Fire Tower at Dorset... about 20 minutes south of the park. These are taken from Peek-a-Boo Rock lookout. 















Jane offered to take a picture of this young couple and their dog, with their phone. It turned into an 'event'... so I recorded the event while I waited. :)
 

This is Peek-a-Boo Rock lookout at the tower.
 

Not many red maples so I included a red jeep. The trees overpower it though.


The actual tower. We don't climb it any more. :) We settle for Peek-a-Boo Rock.
 

Canoe at the Art Center in the park. Kids added their art to it. Jane has more patience than me. She described what was on the canoe as I stood by, then I looked at a couple of the more interesting sounding works of art she described. 


You can't see it well unless you enlarge it, but the one that intrigued me was 'chipmunks skating'... bottom right corner of the canoe.
An artist's work on the side of our hotel restaurant... Canada Geese in Flight. It's driftwood.
 

I'm jumping around a bit. This is at Oxtongue Rapids, from the shelter there, for those of you familiar with the area.


















I'm trying not to get carried away with posting too many mushrooms & fungi. I think I may have more shots of fungi this time, than I do of the trees in their glory. :)

















There seems to be no end to weird gourds and pumpkins. This one is kinda gross.


Back to the Inn. 'Our' mini-lake. Free canoes and kayaks. We've stayed here twice now but still haven't used either. Maybe next time.


















My favourite shot from the visit. At our lake. It was like a mirror at times, like here where it's reflecting the trees on the other side.
 

You might think we'd get tired of going to Algonquin. But we don't. We love every visit.  :)

Bob & Jane
--------------------







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...