Friday 17 August 2018

Another Mix... and a Rant
August 17th, 2018

This post is some shots I took with my phone. In many cases, phones make excellent images. But in many cases they make lousy ones.

No viewfinder is problem #1. A real camera has a viewfinder so you can see what you're shooting in all light conditions. 

Problem #2 is zooming. It's a pain in the butt. With a real camera, zooming is easy. 

Problem #3 is manual controls... if you want to use them. Most people don't but I do. Yet another pain in the butt.

Problem #4 is focusing under low light conditions. Autofocus is primitive on most phones. 

Don't get me wrong, when it's the only camera you have with you, you can get great, or lousy results, depending on the shooting requirements at the time.

Ok... rant over. On to my blog with some not bad and some lousy images from my phone.

Sparrows don't get to share the limelight often. They're too common. No bright colors. But they entertain us in our backyard.













  

So do baby bunnies. All baby animals elicit 'ahs' don't they? This one is in front of our concrete garden duck.

















Bath time... a baby Grackle.















I took RJ to Chickadee Trail. It had been a while. He said, "I love feeding the birds." Music to my ears. I give him a bag with corn, sunflower seeds and mixed seed. Sometimes he rations it out, sometimes he's really generous. I let him decide.














We've been to Chickadee Trail several times, but this was the first time we encountered ducklings on the trail. They were eating out of his hand. Momma approved. He threw some to Momma too.
















You can't be sure in the warmer weather if Chickadees will appear, but we were lucky. RJ had 15 visits or so to his hand. He loves it when they do.

He commented on feeling their claws on his hand again today. He also said he moved his fingers and felt their feathers. "They're really soft" he said.





















We also saw Blue Jays, Red, Grey and Black squirrels and Red-Winged Blackbirds while we were there. He seemed really happy to see the Blue Jays. He's rather blase about the squirrels, though he does try to feed them. Most aren't interested. Chipmunks think otherwise.
















Some fuzzy fungus. A lousy shot but it was new to me.
















There were dozens of ducks. In the water, resting on the fallen trees...  and on the trail. RJ throws seed into the water, but most of it sinks before the ducks get to it. They manage to grab some though.
















A carefree 9 year-old, twirling his bag of feed. I told him the plants were cattails. He asked why they call them cattails. "They don't look like cat tails" he said. Just another of his many questions that I couldn't answer.
















Leaf Miners. I can never get over this. Tiny creatures burrowing their way between the top and bottom of leaf surfaces. No wonder that their trails are visible. Nature blows my mind in 100's of ways.





















When we got home I suggested to RJ that maybe we should go to Chickadee Trail once more before school starts. He said, "Maybe a couple times."

I love nature but I love the fact that RJ does too. To see him enjoy nature gives me as much pleasure as I get from nature myself. Watching a child discover the world of nature is like nothing else in my eyes.

RJ loves his cartoons on TV, his video games, Canada's Wonderland, etc. etc. but the fact that he enjoys nature as much as he does, is heartening. I hope his  love of nature lasts all his life.

Have a good one,

Bob
___________________________________





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...