Thursday 28 July 2016

Whitehorse #5 of 5

Around the corner from Doug's. Different to say the least. An artist that likes bicycles?
















He even has a chair & table inside it to sit and enjoy his wheels.
















Our last outing from Whitehorse was to Haines Junction, a couple hours from Whitehorse on the Alaska Highway.



























We slowly closed in on the mountains of Kluane Park. Haines Junction is on the edge of the park.














A diversion on the way. Champagne is just a few miles off the highway.















From the past. There were a few more poles ready for more hubcaps.
















Do you recognize any from a car you used to have?
















On a hillside in Champagne. A fair size as cabins go.














A chance meeting at a rest area. Two young couples were traveling from Argentina to Alaska. They left Buenos Aires almost 2 years ago, had visited 15 countries and put over 50,000 km on their VW vans.



As we approached to talk to them we heard some beautiful, soft music. I thought it was a radio or CD but it was this guy playing his keyboard that he brought along.
They were selling postcards to make a little gas money. I thought the sayings on them were well chosen ones.

We bought some cards and said our goodbyes.
















Haines Junction is small, and there isn't much there, but it has a beautiful backdrop.















In Haines. Things didn't work out for someone.















My photo doesn't do it justice but this was a huge field of yellow near Haines.















There were a few showers over the week so our rental quickly took on a traveled look.





























He got me. I kept seeing this guy around town checking the parking meters. I thought I put enough in the meter downtown but I didn't.
















More childhood memories. My brother-in-law drank Pilsner. I remember studying the label with all its detail.  As a kid, I thought the crows on the fence posts were pretty cool.























I was sitting on a bench while Jane shopped. This guy stopped and started chatting with me. He had lots of stories for me. When Jane came out, we heard a few more. He spent years in the bush he said. He's 84. A pretty cool dude I thought.























A pretty accurate exposure of the light... a bit before midnight. 
In Whitehorse. I noticed the 'Open 20 Hours' on the sign. Hardly worth closing.
















Jane snapped this on the flight to Vancouver. A pretty sight.



Jane said she probably would have chosen some other shots than I did of hers in post # 3. Maybe she'll pick some others out. If she does, I'll post them.

So ends my tale of the Yukon. It's a very special place. We had a wonderful time.

- fini -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...