Sunday 8 May 2016

Trillium Time
May 8th, 2016

I was wondering if I'd bother going out to see the Trilliums this year. After all, I've tons of shots of them from other years. But I decided I didn't want to miss them, so I went to a local area known for them.

If you pick the right spot and the right time, our provincial flower can put on a real show. There were thousands of them.














Stretching off into the woods in all directions.

















I went out just after a short rain shower. I timed it perfectly this year. They were all pristine. No holes in them yet from bugs. No petals half eaten.















 
Leaves were all in good shape too.



















Mayapples share the forest floor with the Trilliums... sometimes in their own private patches. They pretty much all have their umbrellas open now.




Other times they share the same ground as the Trilliums.
















Reaching for the sun.















In wet areas you can find Marsh Marigolds.



















This Ash tree is/was infected with Emerald Ash Borers. They make a good meal for woodpeckers, so there are lots of woodpeckers in our area this year because of them. Almost all Ash trees in our area will be cut down, and there are thousands of them. They quickly pose a hazard to people.

















I did see three red ones but they were shy and were hiding their faces.



























Trilliums are one of the spring ephemerals so they'll be gone in a few weeks when the tree canopy is in full leaf. 

If you live in the area and you want to see the show, now's the time.

- fini -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...