Sunday 31 January 2016

Oshawa Harbour
January 31st, 2016

Had a bit of cabin fever so I went down to the harbour. There was a slight chill in the air, but a very slight feeling of spring too. Wishful thinking maybe.

There were hundreds of gulls & geese on the lake & lake shore.














And a lone fisherman on the pier.














Officially he wasn't supposed to be there. He went around the barrier gate, as many of us do... including me. He soon had a visitor.

I talked to them both after their encounter. The officer said to me, "He might go back on the pier when I'm gone." :-) The fisherman said he was going to call the mayor.














A few minutes after the officer left, these two went around the gate, unconcerned by it all.
One side of the beach was covered with gulls. Kids love chasing them.















On the quiet side of the pier, where the ships dock, Long-tailed ducks were diving for a bite. This is a female.















... and a male. Neither one looks very pretty this time of year.














The male is gorgeous if you catch him at the right time. He looks a bit tattered now, and no long tail.


















Driftwood eventually loses its bark to the waves. I wonder how long it takes.















I was watching the ducks on the east side of the pier when I heard loud goose calls behind me. I love the sound. A big flock was coming in to join those already on the lake.

The next few shots look much better full screen. Just click on the images.















I love seeing large numbers of any of nature's creatures. It stirs something inside you if you're a nature lover.


























We're lucky that nature shares our space in cities. Or that we can share hers. I guess it depends how you look at it.


- fini -

1 Comments:

At 31 January 2016 at 18:40 , Blogger Jim Ellis said...

Thanks for the harbour tour, Bob. When we are close to Nature we are close to the Divine.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...