Friday 19 August 2011

2nd Marsh -- August 18th, 2011

I went to the marsh yesterday to see what had changed since my last visit. The pace of change has slowed but there's still lots to see.

I saw about 25 Great Blue Herons two visits ago and about 12 on my last visit. Today I saw about 6. So I'm wondering, will it be 3 on my next visit? I also saw a Great Egret... my first. 

There are still enough wildflowers in bloom to add color to the marsh.


















I'm not sure if these are new ones or not.


















I just liked the filigreed look of this one.

There are still lots of Himalayan Balsam in bloom. The name makes it sound like these are a long way from home.

























Here they almost cover the boardwalk.

Though most of the Himalayan Balsam are pink, some are white.

















"Peek-a-Boo" fungus on the boardwalk.




















The boardwalk at one end of the Beaver Pond is a little more overgrown.















The other end has more of a border... of Touch-Me-Not.
















This one is beside the Beaver Pond.
























Though most of the boardwalk is is fine, the moisture is taking its toll in some spots.









































The seed pods of the Yellow Flag Iris. They look like small peppers to me.























Another Wild Carrot (Queen Anne's Lace) bird's nest.

















Fungus on the boardwalk is a sign of the moisture in the wood, causing the rot that "feeds" the fungus.

















Cormorant...




















One of the Great Blues.





















A Great Egret... it sure stood out from the Great Blues.


















There's lots of Goldenrod in bloom.























If it wasn't for the blossom, Bull Thistle would hardly get a second glance.























I'm a sucker for Wild Cucumber, especially against a tree trunk but I think I have enough now.























A view along the berm. Wild Carrot thrives on it.
















I hadn't been on the boardwalk between the berm and the bridge over Farewell Creek for a while. There's a fallen tree over the boardwalk that's been there a while now and you have to crouch very low or crawl under it to get by.

But there's a more recent fall now not far from the other one.
It's one trunk from what looks to me like a dead multi-trunk Willow. The rest of the tree has that "to be continued" look about it.


















Not only is Mother Nature attacking the boardwalk, apparently she doesn't like our signs either.





















A Cabbage White...























I'm guessing this is a type of slime fungus.




















Farewell Creek from the bridge over it.
















Mother Nature really does try to take back her own. The deterioration of the boardwalk and the fallen trees reminds one of the expense and effort that goes into keeping the public facilities at the marsh in good repair, so that those of us who are able, can enjoy its many rewards.
 
Even those in the area that can't or don't visit the marsh, benefit from it. Wetlands provide benefits to a community that many don't realize.

If you're interested in wetlands, and in particular the Second Marsh, maybe have a look at these links...

The Friends of Second Marsh web site... 

http://secondmarsh.science.uoit.ca/

A direct link to a map of the paths/trails in the marsh...
http://secondmarsh.science.uoit.ca/Recreation_Map.html



A link to a page that has my past posts re the marsh, in one place rather than scattered throughout this blog...
http://rgbell.ca/2/


- fini -



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...