Sunday 3 July 2011

2nd Marsh -- July 3rd, 2011

Yesterday was a work day around home so today was another out-with-the-camera day.

It was stinking hot but there was a bit of a breeze and since the marsh is at the lake it was a bit cooler there... but I still stayed on the shaded part of the boardwalk 80% of the time.



Not something you like to see but two dead skunks within 20 ft of each other along the path makes me wonder what happened.



These look like eggs of some sort.

























There are still a fair number of Canada Anemones in the marsh... it is Canada Day weekend after all.



The Mayapples are looking worse for wear but they're still kinda pretty.



Reflections can be gorgeous in the pools that are still there.



Color catches the eye and bright red just jumps out at  you. These are berries of Red Baneberry... Thanks John.







I walked down the berm a short way to see if the turtles were sunning themselves. No turtles but I saw my first Water Lilies through the reeds.




So I turned around to head back to the boardwalk and this Midland Painted Turtle (Thanks John) was waiting for me on the path where I'd been about 10 minutes before.




I'm not sure if she didn't care if I was there or she thought if she "froze" I couldn't see her, but she just sat there not moving for the 5 minutes I was watching her. (John ID'd it as a female.)





These Queen Anne's Lace (aka Wild Carrot) are further along than the ones I saw on the path the other day. You can see the purple floret in the center of this one... and a bug of some sort.






The male and female parts of the Cattails are more obvious now.







The Friends of Second Marsh web site... 


A direct link to a map of the paths/trails in the marsh...



A link to a page that has my past posts re the marsh, in one place rather than scattered throughout this blog...


- fini -

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 4 July 2011 at 16:11 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

eggs are a big winner for me..randy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...