Tuesday 15 October 2019

Chickadee Trail - one more time

As you know, I love nature. I can enjoy it alone but it can be even better enjoying it with others. I've visited Chickadee Trail (at Lynde Shores Conservation Area) many times but when RJ is with me, the enjoyment goes off-scale. This time it was Jane, RJ and yours truly. RJ adds more to our visits than he'll ever know.

Conservation Areas in Ontario are common and very popular. You can't camp in them. They're for day visits. Free or maybe a couple bucks for the time you're there. Chickadee Trail at Lynde Shores is first class for families. A short walk where you may encounter deer, raccoons or wild turkeys and definitely chipmunks, squirrels, ducks & geese, blue jays, cardinals, nuthatches and of course chickadees. 

I realize the RJs days of spending time with Nan & Poppa are slowly closing. But it truly makes me enjoy each day with him to the fullest.

A 'frozen' Great Blue Heron, with the patience only animals and birds exhibit, awaits his chance at a fish. It came, he got it... as ducks and geese swim impatiently by.





















 RJ loves feeding all birds and animals. I grew up in Saskatchewan. Despite this highly populated area of the country that we live in, nature is available more easily than in many areas of our country. It's ironic really. RJ benefits. Someone just has to take our young ones out in nature. A lesson I learned a while ago.
















In this instance, RJ said he felt the 'wind' from the goose's wings. Something I never felt. RJ is very observant and very conscious of all that is around him.






















Holding your arm out can be tiring. RJ has more patience than me though. :-)
 
















Nuthatches are less common at coming to your hand for feed, but a couple did today.The 'upside-down bird' as I call them. They spend most of their lives climbing down trees, rather than up.


















Don't we all love chippies? How can you not? Beautiful coloring, stuff their cheeks like there's no tomorrow, and that 'chippie' sound that they're constantly chipping and chipping and chipping.

















I love squaky blue jays. The sounds carries and rings thru your yard or forest. Cheeky, bold...  This is my territory. Where's yours?


















We've been to Chickadee Trail enough times that RJ checks certain things out... like this 'fort' that seems to move around a it.



















The 'name ' tree as Jane suggested. The only one that was on the trail. Not 'pretty' to many of us, but the tree will be fine. Only girdling the bark will kill it.















The 'big white snake' we spotted.



















It had been a while since I was out in nature. RJ helps to 'get me out there'. 

Nature is more important to us than we realize I think. 'Forest bathing' is a new thing in some parts of the world. Problem is, our world has changed so much that fewer and fewer of us 'get out there' to receive nature's benefits.

It's been great chatting with you all.

Take care,
Bob
______









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...