Thursday 26 April 2012

2nd Marsh -- April 26th, 2012


It was time for a visit. It was overcast but the sky was lighter to the south where the marsh is. It was fine when I got to the marsh. But it didn't stay fine. I got wet. The changes since my last visit weren't significant.

The greening of the forest floor... unfortunately, mostly due to Garlic Mustard.



















The Mayapples are spreading their umbrellas. At this stage they look like one-legged green crabs marching through the forest.














In the early stages they show their 'apples', only to hide them as the leaves mature.


















It's always good to see a Chipmunk running around.














This is a "crop-circle" at the Beaver Pond. It's a puzzle to me. I can't imagine a downdraft of wind causing it. I'm guessing it's the beavers' work though I can't imagine why they'd want to do it.














Of the countless 1000s of Trout Lilies in the marsh, I only saw two blooming.




 















Only two of the trio were out today... a few Chickadees and this single Nuthatch.






















Violets















Fiddleheads... old growth and new.















I thought I might see more waterfowl today, but a single goose flying overhead, a pair of Mallards at the Beaver Pond, and this pair of Mute Swans were it.


























A mini-forest of Horsetail.
























Peek-a-boo Touch-Me-Nots

















A quiet day. Though we had an early taste of Spring, it seems to be moving at a normal pace now.

The Friends of Second Marsh web site... 


A direct link to a map of the paths/trails in the marsh...



A link to a page that has my past posts re the marsh, in one place rather than scattered throughout this blog...



- fini -

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...