Thursday 29 May 2014

Purple Woods & Thurne Parks CAs
May 29th, 2014

Yesterday was yard chores with rakes & shovels; today was nature with a camera. I decided this year to explore some nature areas that I haven't been to. Today I explored Thurne Parks Conservation Area. And an old favourite too--Purple Woods. I also plan to get to the marsh at sunrise, or shortly after, this year. I'm still working on that one.

I went to Purple Woods first. Been there many times. It's about 10 minutes north of town. It's known for Trilliums, among other things. The Trilliums were there to be sure. 1000s of them... almost all on their last legs. The blossoms will be gone soon.


















This is a somewhat panoramic shot. Enlarge it (just click on it) to get a better feel for what it looked like.












There are lots of pink ones. Even though they don't have the pristine look and their petals are curled, they're still beautiful.

















My favourite from the day... a Cabbage White butterfly on some Dame's Rocket (aka Wild Phlox). I swear he was staring at me as I took the shot. Enlarge it to see his eyeball staring at me.


I like the curled leafed stage, as they begin to fade away, just as much as the earlier, perfect stage.





















An Indian hut set up for the Maple Syrup festival earlier in the year.















It's only in the first week or so of the blossoms appearing that you can get shots with perfect blossoms & perfect leaves. Photoshop would clean them up but I prefer what nature offers me.






















Colorful decay.
 





















Just a hint of pink.

There were lots of Mayapples too, many sporting their single blossom at the y-junction of their stem, but many still had the apple.












 

Thurne Parks CA

It's only a half hour from home.















My first Jack-in-the-Pulpit of the year, near the entrance, poking through some Ostrich Fern. Jack is still pretty well concealed under his hood. I probably missed some at Purple Woods.


















This was the surprise at Thurne Parks. Tens of thousands of Ostrich Fern. Most of the forest floor was covered with them.














It's always interesting to me how different areas favour different plant species.














Purple Woods has its Trilliums & Mayapples that dominate, while Thurne Parks favours the Ostrich Fern. 














The fern crowded the trails in many spots.














 















A small creek passes through. Today it was running strong... beautiful to hear as you walk the trail. The trail follows the creek for the most part.














Some Dog-strangling Vine along the creek. After seeing so many Trilliums & Mayapples at Purple Woods, it was a real contrast to not see any here, at least not along the trail I took.
 
Another thing missing here was birds. I heard a few from outside the woods, but none within them. Most of the trees are Cedars. I've noticed before that woods with a high population of cedar seem to lack birds. No squirrels or chipmunks either. Maybe it's just my timing.
 














There were quite a few of the Dryad's Saddle (aka Pheasant's Back) fungus.




















One of my favourite sights in nature... wildflowers or fungus in a wild tangle. It may not make for a very good image, but I love to see it.















The shape of the fungus is such that some of them catch some rain. The result... mushroom soup. I know, I know. :-)
















Another look on the way out. This one hasn't lifted its hood yet.
 























We may not be keen on Dandelions, but honey bees, ants & some flies are.


















I went a fair distance along the creek but I didn't reach the end of the CA. Something for me to explore with Jane sometime.


- fini -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...