Friday 9 May 2014

Trilliums
May 9th, 2014



“I love nature, I just don't want to get any of it on me.”                                                    

                                                                        - Woody Allen

Changes are coming fast & furious in nature. After its slow start, spring is playing catch-up now. If you live in the area and enjoy seeing the progression of early spring wildflowers, now is the time to go to your favourite spot to see Trilliums. Like the other ephemerals, true to their name, they're only here for a very short time. Miss them and you won't be able to see any 'til next year. They're not around in the summer. In fact the blossoms will  be gone when the trees leaf out.

It occurred to me that most people probably never see Trilliums in bloom since only a small fraction of the population makes a point of actually going out in nature. A guess on my part, but I'm pretty sure it's true, based on the small number of people I see when I'm out in nature.

I was running errands this morning and spotted some trilliums in town, in a local park that still has some 'wild' woods, rather than the manicured lawns that most parks have. I was going to wait for a day or two but decided instead to go home and grab a camera. I'm glad I did.

A picture gives you an idea of what you might see--but only an idea. It falls way short of what you see & feel by being there.

















There were lots of Trout Lilies & Mayapples in the park too. Some of the trout lilies were in flower, like this one sharing the warmth of a tree trunk with a trillium. First one I've seen blooming this year.















Another thought that crossed my mind is how year after year I take more shots of Trilliums--as if I don't have enough already sitting on my hard drives.















But the spring ephemerals are special to me. It's like seeing old friends again, who've been away too long. Summer wildflowers are good to see as well, but it's the early spring ones, after a long winter, that I look forward to most. 

By the time the summer crop of wildflowers arrives, we've had lots of warm weather and we're almost jaded to nature's parade of wildflowers that come after the ephemerals. 

Same idea as how the first robin we see in spring is special but once they're all around us, they may or may not get a second glance. 
















Ontario chose well when they picked the Trillium as our provincial flower.

















When they first open, most of their leaves are still pristine. That only lasts a few days though until the insects get at them.

















In this particular park there are hundreds of Mayapples mixed in with the Trilliums. And 1000s of trout lilies too.















The Mayapples are at various stages. Many are showing their 'apples' before their umbrellas unfurl to hide them. Remember, don't eat the apples... word is that they're somewhat poisonous until they're fully ripe.


The "diaper plant"... Common Mullein. It has very soft, quite thick leaves in the first year of its growth.
  • The leaves were used by pioneers for diapers & toilet paper. 
  • Indians of North America lined their moccasins with the leaves to keep out the cold, and colonists used them in their stockings for the same reason.
  • The tall stalks (to 8 ft) that develop in the 2nd year (with yellow flowers) were dipped in melted fat and used as torches by Roman soldiers.


















The first Marsh Marigold I've seen in bloom this year was in the park too. It likes wet, even mucky, areas.


















Colorful catkins. These were on a tree branch that had fallen to the forest floor. But it still has life in it obviously.
So if you live in the area and you enjoy Trilliums, it's time to visit the woods.


- fini -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Search my Blog...